Visigothic Arian Apostles' Creed

fredkbest@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Fri Jun 6 01:05:14 UTC 2014

>In a version of the Nicean Treatise of 318 bishops year 325 CE, it says "Credimus in unum Deum.." - *we* believe (Socrates Scolasticus). I think an Arian would have seen the declarations as treatises and not as creeds for individual laymen. What do you think? Maybe:
"We believe in one God, Father almighty,"

 I agree with your thinking, plus in Tertullian's Against Praxeas, "Credimus in unum Deum.." is also used. So I will use "We believe in one God, Father almighty,"

 >"And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;"
Here we need to supply "begotten" or some such word because a whole lot of people are considered sons of God through adoption. See Romans 8:14. Or we could just leave out "His only son".

I understand your reasoning.  However, one of the purposes of the Nicene Creed was to affirm that Christ was begotten (mongenes) and shared the same divine nature as God.  Most of the traditional creeds before the Nicean Creed included "unicum Filium ejus" (His only Son) or "Filium ejus" (His Son).  So I have reasons to include "His only Son" and not to use begotten.

 >The Nicean treatise has "filium Dei, natum de Patre hoc est". I doubt if an Arian would substitute holy spirit for The Father.

 I completely agree and this is a perfect example of the type of help I was asking for. Thanks!

 I am thinking of using "missum a Patre in Virginem carnem factum et ex ea natum ex virgine maria" (sent by the Father into the Virgin, He was made ​​flesh of the Virgin Mary, and born of her). I need more research before I decide.

 >"The holy Church;"
Though this is in English and the English use the definite article a lot, it may be a more Gothic way of thinking about biblical concepts, to express them non-exclusively. So:

 Good point, however Gothic did use sa, so, and thata as singular nominative definite articles.  Plus I used "the Holy Ghost" just before it.