Visigothic Arian Apostles' Creed

fredkbest@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Thu Jun 5 21:53:02 UTC 2014

 Basti,

 Thank you for all your comments and advice. As you can likely tell, I work with secondary sources and mostly primary sources that have been translated, though I am almost done translating the Old English poem The Wanderer into English to use in the novel.  I have started to learn Gothic also, mostly for naming purposes.

 I alternate writing and research for my novel and I am in a writing phase now (plus most of my time is taken by the job that pay the bills). When I am back in my research phase, I will review your comments and incorporate the ones that fit with the novel.

 /Fred

---In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, <setiez at ...> wrote :

 "I believe in God the Father Almighty."
 In a version of the Nicean Treatise of 318 bishops year 325 CE, it says "Credimus in unum Deum.." - *we* believe (Socrates Scolasticus). I think an Arian would have seen the declarations as treatises and not as creeds for individual laymen. What do you think? Maybe:
 "We believe in one God, Father almighty,"
  "And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;"
 Here we need to supply "begotten" or some such word because a whole lot of people are considered sons of God through adoption. See Romans 8:14. Or we could just leave out "His only son".
  "Who was born of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary;"
 The Nicean treatise has "filium Dei, natum de Patre hoc est". I doubt if an Arian would substitute holy spirit for The Father.
  "Crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried;
  The third day He rose from the dead;
  He ascended into heaven,
  Sits at the right hand of the Father,
  Thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
  And in the Holy Ghost;"
 Fine! :)
  "The holy Church;"
 Though this is in English and the English use the definite article a lot, it may be a more Gothic way of thinking about biblical concepts, to express them non-exclusively. So:
 "Forgiveness of sins;

  Restoration of the flesh."
 /Basti