Visigothic Arian Apostles' Creed

Weidemyr Basti setiez@yahoo.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Thu Jun 5 19:51:12 UTC 2014

"I believe in God the Father Almighty."
In a version of the Nicean Treatise of 318 bishops year 325 CE, it says "Credimus in unum Deum.." - *we* believe (Socrates Scolasticus). I think an Arian would have seen the declarations as treatises and not as creeds for individual laymen. What do you think? Maybe:
"We believe in one God, Father almighty,"
 "And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;"
Here we need to supply "begotten" or some such word because a whole lot of people are considered sons of God through adoption. See Romans 8:14. Or we could just leave out "His only son".
 "Who was born of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary;"
The Nicean treatise has "filium Dei, natum de Patre hoc est". I doubt if an Arian would substitute holy spirit for The Father.
 "Crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried;
 The third day He rose from the dead;
 He ascended into heaven,
 Sits at the right hand of the Father,
 Thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
 And in the Holy Ghost;"
Fine! :)
 "The holy Church;"
Though this is in English and the English use the definite article a lot, it may be a more Gothic way of thinking about biblical concepts, to express them non-exclusively. So:
"Forgiveness of sins;
 Restoration of the flesh."
/Basti

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:46 PM, "fredkbest at gmail.com [gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> That said, a better choice might be the creed of Auxentius, one of the creeds of the councils such as the creed of Constantinople of 360, or one of the creeds opponents of Nicaea cited as traditional creeds.

I am using a variant of the creed of Auxentius (Ulfilas) as part of the Arian homily in the novel.  The creed of Constantinople was created in response to Arianism, so I am using it for the Catholic Priests.  I used the creeds that opponents of Nicaea cited as traditional creeds as the basis for my created creed.

I then made the derived creed seem more Gothic by using English words that are of Germanic origin when possible.

For example, the traditional creeds use Holy Spirit [ From Middle English spirit, from Old French espirit (“spirit”), from Latin spīritus (“breath; spirit”) ].

I used Holy Ghost [ From Middle English gost, gast, from Old English gāst (“breath, soul, spirit, ghost, being”), from Proto-Germanic *gaistaz (“ghost, spirit”) ].