Link to my Gothic learning resource and forum

Weidemyr Basti setiez@yahoo.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Thu May 15 17:27:24 UTC 2014

Hi Lingua
Your efforts to help revive Gothic are highly appreciated!
What you have there is:
1.* real-time discussion (IRC, chatroom)
2.* slower discussion (forum)
3.* dictionary project (dictionary, wordlist)
4.* News (written, podcast)
5. Community news
6. Links
7. Learning material (grammar, lessons, tests)

If it is allowed me to give some advise, even though I have only experience with web-sites since 1998, the items marked with stars depend upon a certain amount of commitment from the Gothic-speaking community, with time and effort. All seven facilities of items 1-4 need to get past a critical mass of interaction and I am afraid at most 2 or 3 of them can do that at a time, so that marketing all 7 will ensure failure of them all. If I were you, I would have pruned some of these projects. Or, actually I would n't, but I wish I were able to make tough decisions in time. :)

As you mentioned, the forum is the most important. Extreme Forum has integrated chat as a plug-in, so might work but I have not tested it.

Will it be possible for others to mirror the dictionary, or to copy/back-up it and publish it elsewhere? Iirc, Wiktionary decided that Gothic is not a living language, so they made it into a category under English, but now it shows up on Wikimedia Incubator, supposedly a place where language editions are prepared for possible inclusion. From the look of it, the Gothic on Wiktionary will be a rather fast reconstruction, so if somebody creates a competing dictionary, the purity niche is vacant. Or maybe everybody should focus on Wiktionary?

I send this as a reply to the list because someone may disagree or someone may wonder if someone else already expressed these views.

slightly off topic and directed to all:
The choice to go with latin characters is not all straight forward. I get the impression the standard transcription that is used on this list, among other places, was tuned for Old English or some similar language, where Gothic Y really became w, and where the gamma-looking character really became g and not c. For example: 'drigkan' (standard transcription) became 'dricka' in Swedish and would be transcribed 'drickan' if gamma was mapped to c rather than to g. Maybe the G-looking character could be mapped to g instead of j and the Latin j may burn forever in Jehenna. Would this be interesting for a Gothic in Latin?

Best regards
Basti