Reconstructing Gothic

David Connolly dec.phd@sbcglobal.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Tue May 27 22:49:31 UTC 2014

Let me add to Marja's comments the reference  D. H. Green, 'Language and Culture in early Germanic society' (Cambridge University Press, 1998) which sorts out a lot of the evidence for interconnectedness among the "branches" of Germanic, including Gothic.  Bottom line, he recognizes some words (e.g. aithei, "Eide";  Bavarian dialectal 'Pherintag') as suggesting some contact/borrowing between Gothic language and southeastern dialect areas of Old High German, which makes sense from a geographical perspective.  (Sorry can't give page numbers - typing from memory...)

Green's book is 400 pages of dense linguistic data, but it is worth the effort!

________________________________
 From: "Marja Erwin marja-e at riseup.net [gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Reconstructing Gothic

Hmmm…

As far as I know, North and West Germanic have a good deal more contact with each other than with East Germanic. So North and West Germanic can’t really ‘bracket’ East Germanic.

However, if we have early Germanic loanwords into some combination of Ossetic, Slavic, and Southern Italic/Southern Romance, Gothic seems like a pretty obvious source. Of course, we can’t always rule out Suebian, Lombard, and High German.

Also, there seem to be some odd cases. Lagarimanus, in Ammianus, would seem to have a West Germanic name.

OHG and Old English are well researched and all over the etymological dictionaries but what made many of us interested in Gothic in the first place, was our own language's surprisingly many cognates. I guess it is hard to find a word which was only preserved in OHG and Gothic. The Swedish Etymological Wordbook has this under "moder". I translate: