Assimil-like course to learn modern Gothic (not finished yet)

Edmund Fairfax edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Fri May 30 22:32:58 UTC 2014

A few more comments:

1) With regard to the neologism gutisk-: it is true that names of languages in Modern German and Dutch are neuter, but in the Scandinavian languages they are feminine or at least non-neuter: e.g. Icelandic Danska 'Danish', Swedish Svenska 'Swedish". This brings up a further point, namely, that it is generally preferable in the comparative method to use comparanda closest in kinship and time to the target language. What Modern German and Modern Dutch suggest is less important that what Old High German, Old Saxon, Old English, Old Norse, and the language of the earliest runic inscriptions reveal, in the case of reconstructing fourth-century Gothic. That said, it so happens that the earliest West Germanic languages, like their modern counterparts, make neuter the names of languages suffixed with the reflexes of -isk-; in fact, in Old English, englisc is not only neuter but invariable (thus on englisc 'in English' but on engliscgereorde 'in the English
 language', the former lacking the dative ending -e). Old Norse, however, shows the feminine. The problem remains that Gothic is considered an East Germanic language, and it is impossible to know whether in this case it followed the practice extant for West Germanic or North Germanic, thus, whether a Gothic language-name should be neuter or feminine. Thus, it is by no means certain at all that a name of language in Gothic must be neuter rather than feminine.

Moreover, highly moot is the very idea that the usual name for the language spoken by the Goths was based on the root Gut-. It should be borne in mind that the end of late Proto-Germanic is usually assumed to be around the beginning of the first millennium AD. The first couple of centuries of the first millennium AD must surely have been characterized by merely rather minor dialectal differences, and it seems most unlikely that the Marcomanni, for example, thought of themselves as speaking 'Marcomannian', or the Quadi 'Quadian' and likewise for many other Germanic tribal groups, such as the Goths, who in the fourth century likely did not number more than a third of a million people, a number suggested by Magomedov (Chernyakhovskaya kul'tura, problema etnosa 2001), based on the archaeological data. Indeed, the reflexes of *theudisk- were used by speakers of Old Saxon, Old High German, and Middle Dutch to refer to their languages. So too West-Saxons,
 Anglians, and Northumbrians of Anglo-Saxon England spoke englisc, a name that is cognate only with the name of the Angles. And of course today, Canadians do not speak 'Canadian', nor do Belgians speak 'Belgian'. The term 'Gothic' as the name of the language of the Goths is essentially Graeco-Latin usage, reinforced by latterday linguists in their need for a suitable term; what the Goths called their own language is unknown. One could argue that thiudisk- would be as likely a candidate as *gutisk-. At least thiudisk- is extant, albeit once in the adverbial form thiudisko meaning 'in the manner of the Gentiles', which is a literal rendering of Greek ethnicos, but outside of the New Testament, Greek ethnos means simply 'people, nation' (even the Old English Biblical translator similarly used the cognate theod to render 'Gentiles', but elsewhere the noun means simply 'people, nation').

If the intention is to teach real fourth-century Gothic, rather than some kind of 'play-Gothic', then neologisms should be avoided at all cost, and reconstructions resorted to only when one can reconstruct with a fair degree of certainty (and this demands a solid background in early Germanic historical linguistics). This is why I suggested *Gutrazda, given that both elements are extant and the compound has a direct parallel in Gutthiuda. Alternatively, *Gut(an)e razda 'language of the Goths' would partly sidestep the issue, although it is unknown to what nominal class Gut- belonged.

The example of Modern Hebrew has be alluded to a number of times recently in the postings, but this example is irrelevant. To my knowledge, Modern Hebrew is not an attempt to reconstruct the language as it existed centuries ago; rather, it is an instance of a dead language being reused and refashioned to meet modern nationalistic needs. This is not the same as linguistic reconstruction. Naive indeed is the view that one can go shopping in a variety of Germanic and non-Germanic languages for Gothic "loans" or imagined cognates and not end up with a dabbler's mishmash.

If you are bold enough to attempt comparative reconstruction, then I would suggest you read the first chapter of Benjamin Fortson's Indo-European Language and Culture, An Introduction and the first couple of chapters of Oswald Szemerenyi's Introduction to Indo-European Linguistics. These will provide a basic understanding of what is involved.

2) With regard to yes-no questions: it is NOT true that every yes-no question must be accompanied by the particle -u. Consider, for example,

Galaubeis thata? (John11:26) 'Do you believe this?'
gasaihwis tho kwinon? (Luke 7:44) 'Do you see this woman?'

A careful examination of the instances of -u show that it is in fact modal, expressing such attitudes as doubt, hostile curiosity, amazement, exasperation, dismissiveness, or a rhetorical question.

3) Note that anakunnan is a class 3 weak verb, thus 'you read' is anakunnais not **anakunnis.

Edmund