[gothic-l] Re: Blessings in Gothic

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sun Feb 8 23:27:20 UTC 2015

It would be helpful if you gave an English translation so that the Gothic can be checked against your intended meaning.

 As to 'guth,' it is neuter in form but masculine in gender when referring to the Christian God (see Braune / Heidermanns 2004 section 94, note 3). It would appear that you need the vocative form here for 'our God,' which would be 'Guth unsars.' Note that possessive adjectives are strong in inflection in the vocative, cf. "Guth meins! Guth meins!" (Mt27,46).

 If you post a few lines at a time with an accompanying English translation, I will give you more feedback.

 Edmund