[gothic-l] Re: is Gothic the language of one or a few men?

Marja Erwin marja-e@riseup.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Wed Feb 11 19:58:38 UTC 2015

I think Ostrogoths and Visigoths are somewhat anachronistic terms for Wulfila’s time.

Nobody refers to the Ostrogoths or Visigoths before the very late 4th century.

The Notitia Dignitatum refers to Vesi and Thervingi. The Historia Augusta which was loosely based on the history of the 3rd century but was written at the end of the 4th century refers to Austragothi, and from what I've read, Claudian refers to the Goths in Asia Minor as Austragothi.

Ammianus refers to the Thervingi and Greuthungi, without implying that these are the only two groups.