[gothic-l] Re: Permission to re-print sections of "The Goths: Children of the Storm"

OSCAR HERRE duke.co@sbcglobal.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Tue Feb 24 04:38:15 UTC 2015

dont know about them being long gone.....

On Monday, February 23, 2015 6:51 PM, "ARTHUR A JONES arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com [gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hello all!

 I follow Gothic-l religiously, but never contribute because I simply do not feel qualified. Roel has been asking about  re-printing two of the poems from my book, The Goths: Children
of the Storm. They are "Lady Ranilo's Dream" and "Totila Rides the Djerid". I am indeed honored by his request, but have heretofore withheld permission because I simply made too
many grammatical errors in the Gothic translations of both poems. The poems, and the book itself, were written with view to conveying images of a courageous, restless people now long-gone.
Although I certainly did my homework (historical, archaeological, linguistic), I am very much afraid that arguments over accuracy would spoil the misty romanticism. The book starts at their beginning and continues to their end (Crimean Gothic). Characters such Mother Inguna, Lady Ranilo, Othmar, and others are either fictitious or semi-fictitious. Others, such as Thiudareiks and
Alareiks, were uncomfortably real.

The Crimean Gothic chapter, including my conclusion as to the meaning of the Cantilena, is fit prey for you jackals.

Keep up your exciting dialogue!

Arthur