[gothic-l] Re: Permission to re-print sections of "The Goths: Children of the Storm"

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Tue Feb 24 12:47:26 UTC 2015

I was not planning to publish it myself btw or to ask a publisher too, I
rather asked if you could ask that to your publisher of The Goths: Children
of the Storm.

Op dinsdag 24 februari 2015 heeft ARTHUR A JONES arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com
[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

> Hello all!
>  I follow Gothic-l religiously, but never contribute because I simply do
not feel qualified. Roel has been asking about  re-printing two of the
poems from my book, The Goths: Children
> of the Storm. They are "Lady Ranilo's Dream" and "Totila Rides the
Djerid". I am indeed honored by his request, but have heretofore withheld
permission because I simply made too
> many grammatical errors in the Gothic translations of both poems. The
poems, and the book itself, were written with view to conveying images of a
courageous, restless people now long-gone.
> Although I certainly did my homework (historical, archaeological,
linguistic), I am very much afraid that arguments over accuracy would spoil
the misty romanticism. The book starts at their beginning and continues
to their end (Crimean Gothic). Characters such Mother Inguna, Lady Ranilo,
Othmar, and others are either fictitious or semi-fictitious. Others, such
as Thiudareiks and
> Alareiks, were uncomfortably real.
> The Crimean Gothic chapter, including my conclusion as to the meaning of
the Cantilena, is fit prey for you jackals.