[gothic-l] Translating the New Testament into Gothic

Weidemyr Basti setiez@yahoo.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sun Jan 4 14:40:32 UTC 2015

When I translated the missing verses of Philemon last week, it took me twice as long as I had expected and I learned twice as much Gothic. Translating texts into Gothic is a great way of learning and if it is an ancient text, we will not be stopped by the need to come up with neologisms in every sentence.
It is essential to be driven by curiosity and an ambition to learn the language, rather than by commitment and to not see it as labour but fun. For this reason, I will remove most of the Old Testament from the "Scriptures in Gothic" page so we do not feel overburdened.
There may be a time in the future when someone will try to take over the project and resume it, like we did recently. When this happens, it will be easier if there is a single copyright license that most translators license their material through, for example Creative Commons. What do you say?
It will also be advantageous if the translations hold a decent quality, so it is better to translate a few verses well than 20 chapters of Gwenglic. Neologisms can be marked and the format I publish allow for the translator to make an English interlinear which will be available as tooltiptext. When I translated Philemon, I arranged it like this in a text-file:
8.MJ: Διὸ πολλὴν ἐν χριστῷ παρρησίαν ἔχων ἐπιτάσσειν σοι τὸ ἀνῆκον ,Sy: מטל הדא פרהסיא סגיאתא אית לי במשׁיחא דאפקוד לך אילין דזדקןWH: διο πολλην εν χριστω παρρησιαν εχων επιτασσειν σοι το ανηκονMu: Therefore I might have great freedom In the Messiah, to enjoin upon thee the things that are right.
Ïnuh þis ik habands mikila balþein in xristau anabiudan þus þatei gadof istTherefore | I N | am having N | much A | liberty A | in | christ D | to charge | you D | that which A | fitting A | is |
Even not knowing Greek, it is a big advantage to be able to search for similar expressions and to just look at what words were present in the sentence. Here are some link to get input from:
Alexandrine text-type:www.bibelwissenschaft.de/online-bibeln/novum-testamentum-graece-na-28/lesen-im-bibeltext/

Byzantine text-type:
en.katabiblon.com/us/?text=GNT

Aramaic versions:
dukhrana.com/peshitta/
  Search in Greek text:
biblehub.com/greek/

Use "Greek search" with accents and breathing marks. (It won't work without)If you find a similar expression, see if a translation of it is extant in Gothic. If it is, please make a note stating where in the bible it is.  If someone more would like to publish the translations, please do! They are on Yeihos Bokos so we can access them and see our progress, but I don't own them. We may wish to upload our creations to the translations folder of this mailing list as did the 2007-team.
appreciate feedback  :)/Basti