[gothic-l] Re: Translating the New Testament into Gothic

anheropl0x@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sun Jan 4 23:19:25 UTC 2015

For your translation there, might I ask why you have "habands" in there? It is a present participle, which Wulfila was indeed fond of using, but there was still usually a finite verb within a given sentence. It seems though you do not have one.

Why not have something like:
Ïnuh þis ïk mikilai balþeinai ïn Xristau anabiuda þus (þammei) gadof ïst

I'll explain my major changes: The Dative in Gothic has a instrumental function (eg "wopida stibnai mikilai" "he cried with a great voice"). As such, this could read "Therefor I, with great freedom in Christ, command you (with that which) is right." Þammei would be the dative form here. But I leave it in parentheses because it really depends on the meaning you wish to go with, that determines how to translate it.

For instance, if you wished to preserve the subjunctive wording in the first half of the translation, you could very well stick closer to your initial translation, and have:
Ïnuh þis ïk habau mikila balþein ïn Xristau anabiudan þus þatei/þammei gadof ïst

Also, I'm not 100% sure at the moment, but maybe we could look into another word/phrase for "therefore".