[gothic-l] Translating the New Testament into Gothic

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Mon Jan 5 10:56:37 UTC 2015

Yes, it's good, but why do you use "habands"?

I hope we can publish a fully translated new testament with a Gothic font
in the future, like one of Robert Pfeffers fonts.

Op zondag 4 januari 2015 heeft Weidemyr Basti setiez at yahoo.com [gothic-l] <
gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

> When I translated the missing verses of Philemon last week, it took me
twice as long as I had expected and I learned twice as much Gothic.
Translating texts into Gothic is a great way of learning and if it is an
ancient text, we will not be stopped by the need to come up with neologisms
in every sentence.
> It is essential to be driven by curiosity and an ambition to learn the
language, rather than by commitment and to not see it as labour but fun.
For this reason, I will remove most of the Old Testament from the
"Scriptures in Gothic" page so we do not feel overburdened.
> There may be a time in the future when someone will try to take over the
project and resume it, like we did recently. When this happens, it will be
easier if there is a single copyright license that most translators license
their material through, for example Creative Commons. What do you say?
> It will also be advantageous if the translations hold a decent quality,
so it is better to translate a few verses well than 20 chapters of
Gwenglic. Neologisms can be marked and the format I publish allow for the
translator to make an English interlinear which will be available as
tooltiptext. When I translated Philemon, I arranged it like this in a
text-file:
> 8.
> MJ: Διὸ πολλὴν ἐν χριστῷ παρρησίαν ἔχων ἐπιτάσσειν σοι τὸ ἀνῆκον ,
> Sy: מטל הדא פרהסיא סגיאתא אית לי במשׁיחא דאפקוד לך אילין דזדקן
> WH: διο πολλην εν χριστω παρρησιαν εχων επιτασσειν σοι το ανηκον
> Mu: Therefore I might have great freedom In the Messiah, to enjoin upon
thee the things that are right.
> Ïnuh þis ik habands mikila balþein in xristau anabiudan þus þatei gadof
ist
> Therefore | I N | am having N | much A | liberty A | in | christ D | to
charge | you D | that which A | fitting A | is |
> Even not knowing Greek, it is a big advantage to be able to search for
similar expressions and to just look at what words were present in the
sentence. Here are some link to get input from:

www.bibelwissenschaft.de/online-bibeln/novum-testamentum-graece-na-28/lesen-im-bibeltext/

> Byzantine text-type:
> en.katabiblon.com/us/?text=GNT
>
> Aramaic versions:
> dukhrana.com/peshitta/
>
> Search in Greek text:
> biblehub.com/greek/
>
> Use "Greek search" with accents and breathing marks. (It won't work
without)
> If you find a similar expression, see if a translation of it is extant in
Gothic. If it is, please make a note stating where in the bible it is.

> If someone more would like to publish the translations, please do! They
are on Yeihos Bokos so we can access them and see our progress, but I don't
own them. We may wish to upload our creations to the translations folder of
this mailing list as did the 2007-team.