[gothic-l] Gothic Language Corner 9

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sat Jan 17 19:37:32 UTC 2015

There are two ways of translating 'or' into Gothic: 'aiththau' and 'thau... (-uh)'

 I have not looked every single occurrence of these two conjunctions, but at least some of the examples suggest the following (tentative) distinction:

 'thau...(-uh)' is preferred when 'or' implies antithesis and mutual exclusion:

 hwathar ist raihtis azetizo qithan, 'afletanda thus frawaurhteis,' thau qithan, ' urreis jah gagg'? (Mt9,5) 'for which is easier to say, 'your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'arise and go'?

 thu is sa qimanda, thau antharizuh beidaima? (Mt11,3) 'are you the one who is to come, or are we to await another?

 hwana wileith ei fraletau izwis? Barabban thau Jesu' (Mt27,17) 'whom do you want me to release to you? Barabbas or Jesus?'

 'aiththau' is preferred when 'or' implies a range of possibilities or alternatives (without implying antithesis or mutual exclusion):

 ibai lisanda af thaurnum weinabasja aiththau af wigadeinom smakkans? (Mt7,16) 'are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles?' (one could extend the list indefinitely, e.g., 'or fish from the desert?')

 swe spaurde 'k' jah 'e' aiththau 'l' (J6,18) 'about twenty-five or thirty stades' (giving a range of possibilities)

 Edmund