[gothic-l] Re: The Gothic equivalent to the Anglo-Saxon Thegn

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Fri Mar 20 15:51:55 UTC 2015

Dear Tom,

The OE word `thegn`descends from a proto-form `thegnaz,` the hypothetical Gothic equivalent of which would be *`thigns.` However, there is no guarantee that such a word ever truly existed in Gothic and if it did with the same meaning.

A better choice, I think, would be 'ambahts' (masc. a-stem), which is extant, with the meaning 'he who serves (in some capacity).' The word is generally thought to be a Celtic loanword into Gothic (and into OHG, 'ambaht') cf. Latinized Gaulish 'ambactus' = *ambaktos (*ambi- 'around' and -act- from the root *ag- 'go'). The Gaulish word was in fact used in the same military sense as OE `thegn` according to Caesar's Gallic Wars (6.15.2).

I think the comitatus-system, well known from Anglo-Saxon England (and ancient Gaul), can be safely assumed for earlier Gothic contexts.

Edmund

---In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, <the_lothian at ...> wrote :

 I am in the final editing of a novel about the struggle between Alaric and Stilicho.  I am trying to write this as historically correct as storytelling allows.

 I know that West Germanic tribal leaders had Thegns.  I am wondering if the East Germanic tribes, like the Goths, Vandals and Burgundians did too.

 And, if they did, what would the Gothic word be for the Saxon Thegn?

 Thank you guys for having this site and for your help.

 Tom