[gothic-l] The Gothic equivalent to the Anglo-Saxon Thegn

Marja Erwin marja-e@riseup.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Fri Mar 20 16:24:12 UTC 2015

On Mar 20, 2015, at 11:51 AM, edmundfairfax at yahoo.ca [gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Dear Tom,
>
> The OE word `thegn`descends from a proto-form `thegnaz,` the hypothetical Gothic equivalent of which would be *`thigns.` However, there is no guarantee that such a word ever truly existed in Gothic and if it did with the same meaning.
>
> A better choice, I think, would be 'ambahts' (masc. a-stem), which is extant, with the meaning 'he who serves (in some capacity).' The word is generally thought to be a Celtic loanword into Gothic (and into OHG, 'ambaht') cf. Latinized Gaulish 'ambactus' = *ambaktos (*ambi- 'around' and -act- from the root *ag- 'go'). The Gaulish word was in fact used in the same military sense as OE `thegn` according to Caesar's Gallic Wars (6.15.2).
>
> I think the comitatus-system, well known from Anglo-Saxon England (and ancient Gaul), can be safely assumed for earlier Gothic contexts.
>
> Edmund

The attested Gothic form is andbahts, not ambahts.

The Gothic word for soldier is gadrauhts, and for warband or other permanent unit is probably *drauhts.

I think the concept of the “comitatus” obscures the distinction between short-term militia, who will go back to being farmers, herders, crafters, etc. after the campaign ends, and long-term soldiers. Only a small minority could or would want to become gadrauhtos. I also suspect that Gothic Christians, unlike for example English Christians, could have seen some military traditions as Heathen and/or anti-Christian.