[gothic-l] The Gothic equivalent to the Anglo-Saxon Thegn

Johann Dröge anheropl0x@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Fri Mar 20 20:40:50 UTC 2015

I wouldn't have guessed their was, given my years of Latin and Germanic
languages studying. Even the "source" given in the wiki looked sketchy. But
I'd like to think that somehow a similar meaning was given, or something
akin to a friendship, be it militaristic or not. Some attribute Russian's
друг to have the same root as this *druhtiz. But as far as meaning, it's
fairly obvious it didn't get so far in the Germanic languages. It remained
fairly militaristic.

Also, I do have a slight bone to pick with drauhtiwitoþ, at least the
translation. Given the secondary word is witoþ, would it not be noteworthy
to incorporate its meaning into the greater word? Effectively war-law,
something like set rules for waging war or fighting for a particular army?
Think perhaps Geneva Convention, but without it being as modern nor
international of course. Or an army's or nation's particular way of waging
war. What do you think?