Heritage: Heritage Languages Database at California State University, Long Beach

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Mar 8 23:16:17 UTC 2000

From: Maria Carreira [mailto:carreira at csulb.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 2:15 PM
To: heritage
Subject: Heriage Languages Database at California State University,
LongBeach

California State University, Long Beach is in the process of putting
together an extensive on-line resource center on heritage languages for
teachers, students, and community members, with special emphasis on
issues
pertaining to heritage languages in Southern California.   Our goal is
compile the most important information in each of the following areas:

1)    FOR TEACHERS:  Online resources for teachers of heritage languages
(such as ERIC and CARLA), as well as short contributions from heritage
language teachers explaining a classroom activity, an assessment tool,
or
any other pedagogical practice.

2)    BIBLIOGRAPHY:  Books, movies, and other materials of interest to
students, teachers, and parents (these can be children's books, for
example,
that parents may want to read to their children at night).

3)    UPCOMING EVENTS:  conferences, workshops, and lectures of interest
the heritage language community.

4)    FUN FACTS:  Geographical information about heritage language
communities in Southern California, as well as in the U.S.  Projected
needs
for heritage language speakers in the business sector. Heritage language
speakers in the news, etc.

5)    PUBLIC POLICY ISSUES:  This page will feature information on
political
initiatives, public speeches by public figures, and other news that may
impact on the teaching and promotion of heritage languages.

6)    HERITAGE LANGUAGE SCHOOLS:   We are working particularly hard to
compile a listing of all heritage language schools (Saturday schools) in
Southern California, along with information about these schools that may
be
of value to parents and researchers.

7)    BY CHILDREN, FOR CHILDREN:  Submissions by children on cultural
and
linguistic issues of interest to them (bilingual jokes and riddles,
etc.)

I would like to invite all of you to submit information for any of the
above
categories that you deem would be important to include in this database.
We are particularly in need of  information about the heritage language
schools in Southern California, including contacts.

Please e-mail your submissions to me, Maria Carreira, at
carreira at csulb.edu.  You can also reach me by phone at (562) 985-4323,
or by
regular mail at:

Department of Romance, German, and Russian Languages and Literatures,
California State University, Long Beach,
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, California 90840-2406

I thank you very much for your assistance, and I look forward to your
participation in this important project.

Sincerely,

Maria M. Carreira, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Spanish,
California State University, Long Beach