Inquiry: Model survey or survey results for heritage language communities

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Mon Jul 30 14:05:13 UTC 2001

The following originally posted to BILING, the bilingual ed list, and
forwarded for our attention by Nariyo Kono of the University of Arizona --
with thanks to Nariyo!

----------- Begin Forwarded Message ------------

Greetings,

    The NFLC's executive summary of the Heritage Language Research
Priorities conference report suggests on page 7 that surveys be used in
heritage language communities "to assess needs, resources, problems and
attitudes; to establish current and potential heritage language use..."
and other relevant data.

    Does anyone have such a survey they're willing to share, or know of
published surveys?  We are looking to begin this kind of work in
Spanish-speaking communities in Chicago.

    It would be great if we could post community surveys to a public
website (if it hasn't been done already).

    Thanks,

Kim Potowski
Program Director, Heritage Language Teacher Corps
University of Illinois at Chicago
Department of Spanish, French, Italian & Portuguese
601 S. Morgan St., MC-315
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone (312) 996-4582  Fax (312) 413-1044