Response to inquiry: Differences between heritage & non-heritage learners

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Mon Nov 12 17:28:53 UTC 2001

My heartbeat rose just a bit to see the heading of
this email.  If my hand weren't in a cast I'd be
pumping my fist "Yeh!"  The questions inspired by this
inquiry would seem, to me, quite fundamental for
guiding curriculum development, and from there
identifying proper methodologies and materials.  From
my corner of the field--LCT language learning and
teaching, specifically Mandarin--we are far from
identifying "best practice," owing, I think to just
such a research vacuum in this infant field.  (Of
course, there are those who point out we've some way
to go in achieving consensus on what is best practice
in *second/foreign* language.)  As one indication,
most university "heritage" learners of Mandarin are in
classrooms with bonafide second/foreign language
learners.

Perhaps it would be good to put a somewhat finer point
on the research agenda, however.  Is there, in
fact-and this is a naïve question-a research agenda
out there?

Moreover, it is uncertain to me whether
"heritage"-with its social accretion--is an
appropriate construct for learner's who, in linguistic
plainspeak, are...bilingual.  As theorists and
practitioners, are we not talking about understanding
and guiding the development of individual language
competence acquired in a naturalistic setting, where
this language is, in fact, the "lesser" sibling of the
language dyad (or triad...) that comprises an
individual's whole linguistic competence/reach?
(Wordy, but hey, this is email.)

Best,

Craig Butler