Response to inquiry: Assisting bilingual Spanish speakers to identify prosodic stress

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Oct 31 16:17:15 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Eduardo Hernández Chávez [mailto:casandra at unm.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 11:07 AM
To: Scott McGinnis; heritage-list at Glue.umd.edu
Subject: Re: Inquiry: Assistant bilingual Spanish speakers identify
prosodic stress

Scott-
	Stress and length are of course related prosodically. I haven't
seen any study that explicitly links them in Spanish, but I've had some
success informally  by having speakers lengthen the syllables as if they
were repeating the word to someone who didn't hear it or who
misunderstood: "No. Yo vi un relaaampago."
	You've put your finger on the main problem in teaching native
speakers the placement of accent marks. Once they can hear the stress
consistently, the mechanics of accent placement are really very
straightforward. I hope this helps. It certainly isn't foolproof, and it
probably will take several techniques to be successful with all
students.

Eduardo Hernández Chávez
Universidad de Nuevo México

--On Wednesday, October 31, 2001, 10:42 AM -0500 Scott McGinnis