Inquiry: Greek/other language communities in Greece (connection to NJ)

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Mon Apr 1 20:23:23 UTC 2002

Reponses should be sent directly to the originator of this message, Ann
Evans (address at end of this message).

I will be traveling to Greece at the end of May, and would like to make
contacts there who could introduce me to communities within Greece where
either 1) other languages are spoken, such as Albanian, Bulgarian,
Turkish, Romani, etc., or 2) "extreme" dialects of modern Greek are
spoken, such as on isolated islands or areas of Greece, where special
educational or other activities would need to be undertaken to learn
standard modern Greek.

I am also hoping to do a project on language change in one town
(Montclair, New Jersey).  The base of this research is two subjects,
white women, 91 and 22 years old, who were raised in or near Montclair
and are college educated. I have present-day matches (other such women
in their 80's or 90's, and young women in their 20's) but am looking for
recordings of women who would today be in their 80's or 90's speaking
when they were in their 20's, 30's or 40's.

My goal, overall, is to write a book about the different language
communities in various countries.  I want to make people aware of these
language groups and write about them as people, rather than
academically.  My overall goal in these endeavors is to popularize the
subject of linguistics, bringing in some syntactical observations
(non-academically, but as explications), vocabulary, history, phonetics
(sounds which exist in other languages but which don't exist in ours,
etc.

Any help or leads would be much appreciated.  My email address is
evansann at earthlink.net.  Thanks.