Call for papers: Semantics of under-represented languages in the Americas -- DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS 11 OCTOBER

Scott McGinnis sm167 at umail.umd.edu
Thu Aug 15 15:21:02 UTC 2002

Announcement and Call for Papers

THE SEMANTICS OF UNDER-REPRESENTED LANGUAGES IN THE AMERICAS (SULA) 2

University of British Columbia

MARCH 14 - 16, 2001

The Department of Linguistics at the University of British Columbia is

pleased to announce the second conference on the formal semantics of

under-represented languages in the Americas. The goal of the

conference is to bring together researchers working on languages or

dialects which do not have an established tradition of work in formal

semantics. Examples include native languages of North or South

America, African American English, ASL, Yiddish, or Brazilian

Portuguese. We also invite submissions from those working on child

languages (acquisition of semantics). We especially encourage abstract

submissions from those whose work involves primary fieldwork or

experimentation as well as analysis.  We strongly encourage the

participation of graduate students.

The conference will be organized into panel discussions, and there

will be a special session on Tense and Aspect.  The paper length will

be 30 minutes, plus 15 minutes for discussion.

INVITED SPEAKERS CONFIRMED SO FAR:

Strang Burton (Sto:lo Nation / University of British Columbia)

    Multi-Media Tools for Semantic Fieldwork

Rachel Hastings (Cornell University)

    Quechua

Felicia Lee (University of British Columbia)

    San Lucas Quiavin Zapotec

Lynn Nichols (University of California, Berkeley)

    Zuni

Scott Shank (University of British Columbia)

    Straits Salish

Judy Shepherd-Kegl (University of Southern Maine)

    ASL

PANEL COMMENTATORS CONFIRMED SO FAR:

Irene Heim (MIT)

Angelika Kratzer (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION:

Please submit 3 copies of a two-page abstract to the following

address:

Lisa Matthewson / SULA 2

Department of Linguistics

University of British Columbia

E270-1866 Main Mall

Vancouver, B.C.

V6T 1Z1

Canada

ph. (604) 822 4256

fax (604) 822 9687

lisamatt at interchange.ubc.ca

Font should be at least 12 point; if the abstract has to be a little

longer than two pages, that's okay. Include title, author and contact

information on a separate sheet.

ABSTRACT DEADLINE:

October 11, 2002

ADDRESS FOR INQUIRIES: