Response to Commentary: Bush's translator in Romania

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Dec 4 14:24:57 UTC 2002

Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:28:30 -0500
From: "Bernhardt, James E" <BernhardtJE at state.gov>

Ray's e-mail is a little surprising since it seems to assume that the
American translator or interpreter must have been a native speaker of
English.  Of all places, I would think at the Heritage language list
would
be a place where speakers of all languages could be considered American
and
Americans would not be assumed to be English speakers.  My guess is that
the
translator was a native speaker of Rumanian and that while 'mistakes
were
made,' the ones mentioned so far were not substantive.  An elegant
translation would have been better, of course.

James E. Bernhardt