Inquiry: History of interest in endangered languages

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Dec 11 16:11:49 UTC 2002

Everett, at dan.everett at man.ac.uk

Concern for endangered languages has grown dramatically in recent
years. I know that there was a huge leap in interest some 12 years ago
or so and that interest and concern has been building rapidly since
then.

I would like to have a clearer idea of the history, though. I am
asking for help, therefore, in identifying publications, conferences,
LSA events, etc. that might be identified with the birth of the
current interest in endangered languages. I will post a summary if
there is a large enough response.

Thanks for your help,

Dan Everett