Call for papers: The Consequences of Mobility: Linguistic & Sociocultural Contact Zones - DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS 1 JANUARY

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Nov 12 13:55:13 UTC 2002

Full Title: The Consequences of Mobility: Linguistic and Sociocultural
Contact Zones

Zones
Short Title:  The Consequences of Mobility
Date:  23-May-2003 - 24-May-2003
Meeting URL:  http://www.ruc.dk/isok/conference/
Meeting Email:  gunilla at ruc.dk
Contact Person:  Gunilla Eriksen
Meeting Description: The Research group on Sociolinguistics, Language
			Pedagogy

and Sociocultural issues, Department of Language and Culture, Roskilde
University, will be hosting

The Consequences of Mobility:
Linguistic and Sociocultural Contact Zones

To be held at Roskilde University, 23-24 May 2003.

We are delighted to announce that our invited speakers will be:

Professor Peter Auer, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Professor Lesley Milroy, University of Michigan

Conference Aims:

The aim of the conference is to investigate the different kinds of
linguistic and sociocultural contacts brought about by transnational
migrations in the contemporary world. The theoretical and
methodological focus is on various forms of integration between on the
one hand sociolinguistic studies and studies in the sociology of
language, and on the other hand the general area of

cultural studies: studies of cultural and social identities, of
multiculturality, cultural hybridity and identity politics in complex
societies.

Linguistic Subfields: Sociolinguistics, Language and Culture, Language
Pedagogy
Linguistic Subfield(s):  Sociolinguistics

DETAILED INFORMATION AND CALL FOR PAPERS

The conference wants to address a number of topics related to this
general interdisciplinary objective, such as:

· Language use in social networks, with special reference to language
contact in inter-personal relations and interactions, such as
code-switching in conversation
· Language contact in society and in the world, and social hierarchies
between languages: consequences of (mobility driven) language spread,
and the ensuing processes of redefining linguistic differences and
identities: language competition, language promotion and language
discrimination
· The complex relationship between language and culture: how can we
envisage mobility and language spread across cultural areas without
conceptualizing language as culturally neutral? (as is often done for
English)
· Language contact in the individual/ "subject": multiple language
competencies and the idea of plurilingualism in Europe and in the
world
· Language and sociocultural identity: how can we address this issue
thinking both of first languages and of languages functioning as
second and foreign languages?
· The concepts of first language (mother tongue), second language,
foreign language, and lingua franca: how can we develop and refine
these analytical concepts taking into consideration the complexities
of language contacts and plurilingual competencies?

Workshops:
We suggest the following themed workshops, and invite participants to
offer papers for them and perhaps propose others as well:

1. Construction of sociocultural identities in face-to-face
interaction (Susanne Kjærbæk)

2. Accents and dialects in contact: linguistic and attitudinal
consequences (Anne Fabricius)

3. Changing relationships between language and culture: mobility,
language spread and cultural transformations (Karen Risager)

4. Youth language and Anglo-American subcultures in EFL Countries
(Bent Preisler)

5. International exchange and national language policy in higher
education (Bent Preisler, Karen Sonne Jakobsen)

Language policy: The main working language of the conference will be
English.  We acknowledge the paradox in conducting the conference in a
specific language, in contrast to the conference focus on issues of
multilingualism, language contact and power.

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

Abstracts are to be submitted by email. Please see the conference
website for submission details.

We are presently negotiating with accommodation venues in Roskilde and
Copenhagen. Details of these will be posted on the website as they
become available.

We look forward to welcoming you to Roskilde in May!

NB: DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ABSTRACTS: January 1, 2003
Notification of acceptance will be by email by February 1, 2003.