Request for assistance: Information in support of the study of Swahili

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Thu Oct 24 13:20:37 UTC 2002

a subscriber to this list), Engracia Schuster, at schustee at sunyocc.edu
or
aschust1 at twcny.rr.com.

I have an opportunity to work with a colleague in our Social Science
department, a native of Ghana, on a grant proposal to offer students
study
abroad opportunities in Ghana and Namibia.  The proposal has a language
component.  We have decided Swahili may be the appropriate language to
get
started.  I am now in charge of writing a rationale to support our
request
for one elementary course in Swahili.  I am wondering if anyone can help
me
by providing information such as:

	-  Why study Swahili (in the U.S.)
	-  Availability of instructional materials in the U.S.
	-  Availability of qualified, part-time instructors
	-  Technolgy and the teaching of Swahili

I will appreciate any help that I can get,

Engracia Angrill Schuster
Onondaga Community College
Syracuse, New York
schustee at sunyocc.edu