Inquiry: Materials for primary grade children in Vietnamese, Roma, Arabic and Kurdish

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Oct 23 17:56:05 UTC 2002

From: Roderick A. Jacobs [mailto:rjacobs at townesquare.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 1:55 PM

I'm teaching heritage languages and cultures to kindergarteners, 1st
and 2nd graders, mostly refugee and immigrant children but with a
number of local children.  They're from Rwanda, Iraq (Kurdistan),
Bosnia, all over.  Because there is some ethnic division in the adult
community, I'm doing units on the heritage languages with them,
teaching all of them 3-4 week units on Bosnian, Arabic, Kurdish, and
various other languages, using native speakers from the community and
also some children as consultants.  We do songs, stories, counting,
body-parts, greetings, art, etc. Preparation is very time-consuming.
I'm looking for any materials that would help with Vietnamese and
Roma (as spoken by Bosnian gypsies, of whom we have a number).  Also
but less urgently, Arabic and Kurdish.
--
Roderick A. Jacobs, Ph.D.		Tel: 404-378-7365
Author/Language Consultant