Inquiry: Setting up a Spanish program for children

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Feb 25 21:21:27 UTC 2003

Wade, at mwade003 at san.rr.com

I have a few questions and am hoping that you can steer me in the right
direction.  I, as well as several of the Hispanic mothers in my
community, are concerned that our children don't speak Spanish.  We're
apparently all married to non-hispanic,non-Spanish speakers whereby
English is the only language spoken in the home.  We're concerned that
as our children age, their ability to develop and grasp Spanish concepts
may decrease.
I am a stay-at-home mother, as are several of my friends, and I am also
a bilingual speech pathologist; my friends are also professionals.
While I worked, my children we're in English speaking day care.  I've
tried to teach them Spanish in the summer, but I've always had other
commitments (camps and classes) as well, that interrupted my Spanish
time. My friends, Idi, Gina, Luz, Yolanda, Norma and I are frustrated.
How can we start up a program that will be successful?  My friend Idi
has taught some Spanish classes for fun, but she is opening up a
business with her husband.   I' ve never officially taught "courses" but
I know I could learn since I've worked in schools doing speech pull-out
services.  So where do I go from here?
Any Help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Beatriz Rodriguez-Wade