Video resource: BAMBI in Arapahoe

sm167 Scott_G_McGINNIS at umail.umd.edu
Sun Dec 5 02:43:00 UTC 2004

PLEASE DO NOT USE "REPLY" TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE! Details RE:
acquiring this video can be found at the end of this message.

This was sent to me to forward. If anyone is interested in checking it out
as a model or for fun, contact Allison Maher, below.

Janne Underriner
Director, Northwest Indian Language Institute

A few years back the Wyoming Council for the Humanities with Disney produced
a Bambi video that is in the Arapahoe language.  The video is a collector's
addition and only apx. 3,000 were made.  We have many copies left and are
having difficulties figuring out how we should market this product. Just so
you know we are a non-profit organization in Laramie, WY. We currently have
about 1,500 videos left. Please feel free to post my email address and phone
number (Allison Maher - ninapb at uwyo.edu - 307-721-9243).

To purchase a copy, please send the payment of $20.00 plus $8.00 shipping to:

Wyoming Council for the Humanities
1315 East Lewis Street
Laramie, WY 82070

Below is a short blurb about the video.  Also it can be found on our website
at www.uwyo.edu/wch/bambi.htm
Sincerely,
Allison Maher - (307) 721-9243
ninapb at wyo.edu

BAMBI SPEAKS ARAPAHO
Disney's classic "Bambi" has been released in the Arapaho language to help
preserve a fading Arapaho language and culture. The Wyoming Council for the
Humanities, a non-profit, state-based educational program of the National
Endowment for the Humanities, has a limited number of videotapes of "Bambi"
in Arapaho--the first feature length children's animated movie ever dubbed
into a Native American language available for linguists, anthropologists,
educators, and other interested persons.

The videotape is the result of a total immersion language project for
children in grades K-3 conducted on the Wind River reservation and supported
with funds from the Wyoming Council for the Humanities. In the Arapaho
version of the fifty-two year old Disney classic, the voices are provided by
Arapaho children and adults who participated in the language project in the
small Arapaho community of Ethete, Wyoming. Proceeds from the videotape are
earmarked for Native American language preservation projects.