[HERITAGE-LIST] Summer institute: Arabic & Persian at San Diego State University (ADLP/LARC)

Scott G. McGINNIS smcginni at umd.edu
Tue May 1 12:53:32 UTC 2007

Dear Colleague:

We're writing to let you know of our Summer 2007 distinguished level Arabic and Persian intensive and immersion programs offered by Center for the Advancement of Distinguished Language Proficiency (ADLP) and LARC (the Language Acquisition Resource Center) at San Diego State University. We are seeking students who are approaching or at the superior level (ILR level 2+/3) and who want to become more solidly grounded in their professional language use.  These students can be actual teachers themselves, or government workers, military personnel, and interpreters. We want to emphasize that this experience is only a start on what could be a long journey toward achieving the distinguished level of language proficiency. It is our hope that through explicit instruction, the time it takes to attain this level of proficiency can be shortened considerably. The dates of the program are July 9 - August 17, a 6 week program.  As such, it is FLAS eligible.

The unique structure of the distinguished level Arabic and Persian summer intensive program centers around the master teacher/apprentice teacher model. The apprentice teachers are themselves highly accomplished teachers but may lack experience teaching at these very high levels.  They are mentored by a master teacher, who instructs them in the unique characteristics of distinguished language, in selecting authentic materials appropriate to this level, and in choosing optimal teaching/learning strategies to use with students are approaching the distinguished level. This master/apprentice teacher-tutor model will allow for its replication in other settings, as the apprentice teachers become master teachers and mentor new apprentice teachers. Students in the class may also return to San Diego State to become apprentice teachers themselves.

Students who enroll in the program have the benefit of a very low teacher to student ratio. They are exposed to a variety of teaching styles and, in the case of Arabic, a multitude of dialects.  Visiting lectures and field trips involving local Arabic and Persian-speaking populations will also be a part of the program.  The emphasis at this level is, of course, intensively content- and task- based. Individual research and projects of interest to the learner are the focal point of the final week of instruction, with individual assistance from instructors.

A second opportunity is offered to Ms. Beth Mackey and/or Dr. Pardee Lowe from the US government will teach a seminar on "Passage Rating," in order to reinforce the selection of level appropriate oral and print texts. This seminar is free of charge for but is limited to 25 participants. (If this is of interest to you, please let us know as soon as possible, and we will reserve your place.) Hotels and dorm rooms are available still, but they are going fast. This seminar is scheduled for July 16-20, 2007, in San Diego, at LARC (the Language Acquisition Resource Center at San Diego State University.)

If you have further questions about these programs, please call Dr. Mary Ann Lyman-Hager, Dr. Bonnie Stewart, Mr. Christian Degueldre (Co-Directors), or Drs. Atefeh Oliai and Hanada Thomure. See http://larcnet.sdsu.edu/workshops.php for more detailed information about either course. I have also attached printable flyers for each program.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Mary Ann Lyman-Hager
Dr. Bonnie Stewart             Mr. Christian Degueldre        Dr. Hanada Thomure             Dr. Atefeh Oliai