'Reversed change' dialect borrowing

Peter Trudgill peter.trudgill at unifr.ch
Sat Jan 26 10:29:08 UTC 2008

Sally's example is very nice, but I think we'd
agree that it's not exactly typical of what
usually goes on, and that Andersen (2005) is
mostly right....... Her example is reminiscent,
though, of a development outlined in Ernst Håkon
Jahr "Language planning and language change" in
L.E. Breivik and E. H. Jahr (eds.) Language
change: contributions to the study of its causes
(1989), where he describes how a vigorously
ongoing Icelandic sound change kown locally as
Flámæli "slack-jawed speech" - in fact a merger
of /i/ and /e/, /y/ and /ø/ - was successfully
reversed between about 1945 and 1960 by what
amounted to an official public campaign.

Developments which occur much further - I would
guess - below the level of conscious awareness
are captured by the term developed by the
Norwegian dialectologist Amund B. Larsen who
coined the label naboopposisjon "neighbour
opposition". For example, in the Sogn dialect,
items in the lexical set of bjørk changed to
bjork etc as a result of the fact ( he
hypothesised) that there was an opposition in a
different lexical set involving items such as
topp in the Sogn dialect which corresponded to
tøpp etc in the neighbouring Hallingdal dialect.
This is a kind of hyperdialectism which I give
several example of in Dialects in Contact
(Chapter 2).
--
Peter Trudgill  FBA
Adjunct Prof. of Sociolinguistics, Agder Univ., N