'Reversed change' dialect borrowing

Sally Thomason thomason at umich.edu
Sat Jan 26 11:54:48 UTC 2008

Patrick,

  Oh, I'd never claim that *all* reversed changes
are deliberate; the reason I was focusing on deliberate
ones is that that was what my paper was about.

  Elsewhere in the same paper I talk about correspondence
rules (or what Jeff Heath has called borrowing routines)
-- Alan Dench's Australian example from his salvage
fieldwork in Western Australia is a wonderful instance.
In his case the speakers were aware of what they were
doing (at least when they were stimulated to think about
it); but there too, there are no doubt cases where
speakers apply correspondence rules without being
aware of what they're doing.

  -- Sally