Diachronic behavior of velar nasal consonant

Eduardo Ribeiro kariri at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 21:20:47 UTC 2008

Dear hist-linguists,

I remember reading somewhere that the velar nasal consonant /ng/ tends to be
less stable diachronically than the more common nasals /m/ and /n/, but I
can't recall exactly where I found that piece of information.  I would
really appreciate any suggestions on where to find information on this
topic, as well as any examples illustrating the diachronic behavior of this
consonant in specific language families.  [In the Macro-Jê stock, for
instance, while reflexes of Proto-Jê *m and *n tend to be preserved as such
in most related languages, *ng occurs as /k/ in Central Jê (thus merging
with reflexes of Proto-Jê *k), zero in Jabuti, etc.]

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo