development of reduplication systems

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Wed Feb 11 11:05:30 UTC 2009

Dear John,
what exactly do you mean by "reduplication system"? I'm aware of many languages having reduplication in their paradigms (e.g. the perfect tense in Classical Greek --
which later went lost in Byzantine and Modern Greek). But can we consider Greek as a reduplication system language?

Prof. Paolo Ramat
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS)
Responsabile della classe di Scienze Umane
V.le Lungo Ticino Sforza 56, 27100 Pavia – Italia
Tel. +39 0382 375811 Fax +39 0382 375899