development of reduplication systems

Jeff Roesler Stebbins Jeff.Stebbins at Colorado.EDU
Wed Feb 11 14:22:53 UTC 2009

Go to Google Scholar and type "Vietnamese reduplication"--you'll see a lot about
reduplication in VNese and several related languages.  We Westerners might be prone to
focus upon the consonants, but (as you can read in some of those papers) VN's
reduplication system also interacts a lot with its tonal system, which has developed (and
is still developing) independently of neighboring Sino-Tibetan and Tai-Kadai tonal
languages.
Jeff Stebbins
Univ. Colorado, Linguistics
719-660-6280
- - - -

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
  to gain what he cannot lose." (Elliot)

---- Original message ----

  Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:05:30 +0100
  From: "Paolo Ramat" <paoram at unipv.it>
  Subject: Re: [Histling-l] development of reduplication systems
  To: "John Kyle" <jhobartkyle at gmail.com>,<Histling-l at mailman.rice.edu>

  Dear John,
  what exactly do you mean by "reduplication system"?
  I'm aware of many languages having reduplication in their paradigms (e.g. the
  perfect tense in Classical Greek --
  which later went lost in Byzantine and Modern
  Greek). But can we consider Greek as a reduplication system
  language?

  Prof. Paolo Ramat
  Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori
  (IUSS)
  Responsabile della classe di Scienze Umane
  V.le Lungo Ticino Sforza
  56, 27100 Pavia – Italia
  Tel. +39 0382 375811 Fax +39 0382 375899