CfP Pragmaticalization at NRG5

Muriel Norde m.norde at rug.nl
Wed Jan 4 11:07:15 UTC 2012

Call for papers:Pragmaticalization at NRG5

Call deadline: January 17^th , 2012

Convenors

Karin Beijering (k.beijering at rug.nl <mailto:k.beijering at rug.nl>),
University of Groningen

Muriel Norde (m.norde at rug.nl <mailto:m.norde at rug.nl>), University of
Groningen

This is a call for papers for a workshop proposal to be submitted to the
/New Reflections on Grammaticalization 5/ conference, to be held at the
university of Edinburgh, July 16^th -19^th , 2012.

Abstracts should be submitted directly to the NRG5 website
(http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/nrg5/Call_For_Papers.html) and marked for
"Workshop on Pragmaticalization". Please send your abstract to the two
of us as well, so we can include it in our workshop proposal. If you
already submitted your abstract to the conference website but would like
to join our workshop, please forward your abstract to us and we will
inform the conference organizers.

Important notice:the general deadline for abstract submission to NRG5 is
January 10^th , but has been extended to the 17^th for just this
workshop. If our workshop proposal is rejected, your abstract will still
be reviewed for the general programme.

Workshop description

The development of discourse markers is a controversial issue in
grammaticalization theorizing (Beijering fc.). On the one hand, the
growth of discourse markers is characterized by changes and effects
typically attested in grammaticalization, e.g. decategorialization,
phonological reduction, divergence or layering. On the other hand, it is
crucially different from grammaticalization (Brinton & Traugott
2005:138f.), for instance because it involves scope increase instead of
scope reduction, and an increase in syntactic freedom instead of
syntactic fixation. These differences and similarities with prototypical
cases of grammaticalization have given rise to divergent
conceptualizations of the rise of discourse markers. Some authors (e.g.
Ocampo 2006, Norde 2009) define pragmaticalization a process distinct
from grammaticalization, others (e.g. Wischer 2000) consider it a
special subtype of grammaticalization, yet others redefine
grammaticalization properties so as to be able to include discourse
makers. For example, Diewald (2011: 368) extends the notion of
(grammatical) obligatoriness to "communicative obligatoriness".

In this workshop, we welcome both theoretically and empirically oriented
papers that address the question of whether pragmaticalization is a
composite change in its own right, besides (de)lexicalization and
(de)grammaticalization.Although we consider the boundaries between these
"izations" as gradient, we are keen to explore the specific properties
that distinguish discourse markers from grammatical elements suchas
prepositions or modal auxiliaries, both synchronically and diachronically.

References

Beijering, Karin. fc. /Expressions of epistemic modality in Mainland
Scandinavian: A study into the
lexicalization-grammmaticalization-pragmaticalization interface/. PhD
thesis, University of Groningen.

Brinton, Laurel J. & Elizabeth Closs Traugott. 2005. /Lexicalization and
language change/. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Diewald, Gabriele. 2011. Pragmaticalization (defined) as
grammaticalization of discourse functions. /Linguistics/ 49(2), 365-390.

Norde, Muriel. 2009. /Degrammaticalization./ Oxford: Oxford University
Press.

Ocampo, Francisco. 2006. Movement towards discourse is not
grammaticalization: the evolution of /claro/ from adjective to discourse
particle in spoken Spanish. In Sagarra, Nuria & Almeida Jacqueline
Toribio (eds) /Selected proceedings of the 9^th Hispanic Linguistics
Symposium/, 308-319. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.

Wischer, Ilse. 2000. Grammaticalization versus lexicalization.
'/Methinks/' there is some confusion. In Fischer, Olga, Anette Rosenbach
& Dieter Stein (eds) /Pathways of change. Grammaticalization in
English/, 355-370. Amsterdam / Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

--
Prof. dr. Muriel Norde
Scandinavian Languages and Cultures