Fwd: Borrowed word order in phrases

Lauren Zentz laurenzentz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 16:01:32 UTC 2013

Hello all,
  I am posting this on behalf of Shana Poplack, who is not on this listserv.
  Apologies for cross-postings.
  Lauren Zentz

Just to set the record straight, it’s not true that the people who wrote
that article in *Bilingualism: language and cognition, *of which I am one,
“don’t believe that change in frequency is change”. Of course it can be!
(See Poplack & Malvar 2008 for a particularly striking example) But
sometimes it’s not. The point of the BLC paper was to lay out – and
implement! – a number of criteria, consisting mainly of comparisons with
relevant diachronic and synchronic benchmarks, for the establishment of
contact-induced change. Oddly enough, many of them were also enunciated,
though not always implemented, by Sally herself. Applying such criteria
systematically to a great deal of Quebec French data, we showed that the
phrase-final prepositions in question do not display the syntactic
properties of English stranded prepositions, do not represent a change
vis-à-vis an earlier stage (at least over the century-and-a-half time span
under study), and are not contact-induced, but rather the result of an
analogical extension to the relative clause context of the native French
“orphan” (e.g. Zribi-Herz) prepositions. That the latter are characteristic
of non-contact French was also pointed out by Paul in his citation of
Bauche 1928. Parenthetically, the *“J’y suis pour”* example heard by Geoff
Nathan in the center of France was one of these orphan prepositions.

-- Shana Poplack