RUKI Rule

Lora Lee lindal at morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Mon Nov 18 19:09:04 UTC 1996

I am investigating the conditioning environment which triggered the shift of
PIE alveolar /s/ to palatal, retroflex or velar /s/ in Indo-Iranian and
Balto-Slavic.  That is - following either an /r/, /u/, /k/ or /i/.  I am
interested in both the diachronic shift and the synchronic morpho-phonemic
variation occuring in Sanskrit.

I am looking for any examples of similar diachronic shifts or synchronic
variants in a NON-Indoeuropean Language.

Any help would be appreciated.

Linda Longerich
Memorial University of Newfoundland
lindal at morgan.ucs.mun.ca