complexity measures

Scott DeLancey delancey at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun Jan 18 13:52:32 UTC 1998

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Miguel Carrasquer Vidal wrote:

> There is no objective measure of "language complexity", so I don't see
> how this might have been "shown".  "Dogma", on the other hand, strikes
> me as too strong a term.  I'd say "heuristic".  Most languages seem to
> be about equivalently complex.  But there certainly are exceptions.

I'm not sure that "dogma" is too strong at all.  Absent any metric
for quantifying overall complexity--without, for that matter, any
metric for quantifying complexity of any given subsystem--any claim
that all (or even most) languages are equivalently complex is simply
meaningless.  There are lots of words one could apply to public
insistence on an empirically vacuous claim; "dogma" doesn't seem
unnecessarily harsh.
    When you say "most languages *seem* to be about equivalently
complex", can you explicate this intuition at all?  When I think
about the question, for languages I know a bit about--i.e. are
English, Hare, Tibetan, Klamath, Sunwar all about equally complex,
or not--I get no intuition at all; I don't have any sense of how
to measure or even estimate complexity so as to make the question
answerable even in principle.

Scott DeLancey
Department of Linguistics
University of Oregon