complexity measures

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Sun Jan 18 13:53:34 UTC 1998

I quite agree, but certainly many of us were taught this
as unshakeable dogma in grad school.  I know I was.
It was, of course, a response to the traditional
ideas about the inequality of lgs and the supposed
simplicity of "primitive lgs" as compared to
Latin, Greek, Skt, et al.  So this whole topic
has to be understood in context.  In the context
of trying to refuse 19th/early 20th century ideas
about "primitive lgs", there was something quite
concrete that was it issue adn the authors who argued that African
or Amerindian lgs were no less complex than Latin et al.
had something quite concrete in mind and were entirely
right.  Taken out of that context, the question
becomes either meaningless or requires a new
context--and THAT is how I at any rate would like
to interpret David's (if I may call you that) remarks.

Alexis