seeking info on Spain's languages

Kristin Turrill kturrill at IMAP3.asu.edu
Sat Mar 21 18:32:43 UTC 1998

To all subscribers:

I am a graduate student and am seeking information on the effects of
Franco's language planning/policies on Spain's languages (other than
Castilian). I am concentrating and Basque and/or Catalan.

What I am particularly interested in is what happens to a language when
it is forced out of the public domain; how a language changes as a
result of being supressed. I am looking at this in terms of
Spain's languages. I am aware that only Castilian had official status
during most of Franco's rule (although I have yet to find specifics on
his policies), so I am interested in what happened to the other
languages.

In order to understand the situation in context, I am interested in
learning about the status of the language(s) in the early 20th Century
(pre-Franco) as well as under Franco's regime and in the decades since.
How have these language(s) changed, adapted?

Thank you,
Kristin Turrill
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona