Q: Latin loans into other languages

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 19:20:53 UTC 2001

A question has arisen on another list about loans from Latin into other
languages.  The question is this: in such borrowings, which form of a Latin
noun or adjective is borrowed?

In Basque, it is almost always the accusative (masculine for an adjective),
though there are some exceptions: a few nominatives and even one vocative.
My questioner is wondering whether borrowing of the accusative is usual,
and I don't know.

I've looked at Morris Jones's history of Welsh, and he usually cites the
Latin nominative as the source of a borrowing, though occasionally he cites
the accusative instead.  I suppose he has good reason for this, but he
doesn't seem to discuss the matter, and the apparently general
disappearance of the Latin endings in Welsh makes it impossible for me to
judge.

So: in Welsh, or in any other relevant language, which form of a Latin noun
or adjective is typically borrowed?

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk

Tel: (01273)-678693 (from UK); +44-1273-678693 (from abroad)
Fax: (01273)-671320 (from UK); +44-1273-671320 (from abroad)