Subject affected vs. Speaker affected!

Johanna Barddal barddal at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 19:17:47 UTC 2001

I'm looking at the semantics of dative subject verbs in Icelandic. It
turns out, not surprisingly, that the simplistic view of dative subject
verbs being experiencer verbs or benefactive verbs does not hold. In
stead I have found that these verbs divide on various non-agentive verb
groups. However, one of the most interesting feature here is that one
subgroup is not subject affected but rather speaker affected, i.e. these
predicates express the evaluation of the speaker, which of course, does
not at all have to coincide with the subject. I'm not sure how to
account for this; it might be viewed as a metaphorical extension of some
sort, but at least, it seems to me that this should constitute a nice
example of subjectification.

Is there anybody out there who can give me references to any relevant
literature, on for instance, subjectification?

Thanks in advance,

Johanna Barddal
Dept. of Linguistics
University of Manchester,