query

Gordon Whittaker gwhitta at gwdg.de
Fri Nov 2 13:05:16 UTC 2001

I'm afraid you're confusing German Schauer with Schauder. Schauer is
'shower', like its English cognate going right back to Proto-Germanic ( and
to IE for 'north wind, storm wind'). Schauer (in the meaning 'shower') did
not originally mean 'cheap thrill' or 'horror'. Schauder, on the other
hand, (which, indeed, does have a variant Schauer) is simply related to
English shudder, which relates to the horror meaning.

As for biccia, tichetto and farma, etc., I don't think that's the kind of
case this thread has been discussing. Your examples are simply
straightforward loans, with the English terms adapted to Italian phonology.

Gordon Whittaker
Seminar für Romanische Philologie
Humboldtallee 19
37073 Göttingen