seeking advice

Margaret Winters mewinters at wayne.edu
Fri May 16 01:26:57 UTC 2003

As a user of the Trask historical book for several years in an American
setting, I can attest to no problems at all with British spelling and no
complaints from students either.  I tend to agree that students should  be
exposed to variation.  As for the choice of IPA or American transcription,
I'd vote for the IPA as a matter of personal prejudice.   When I used to
teach French phonetics, I'd make my students learn those conventions, but,
again, they need to learn the IPA and know that there is some
language(-family) variation in transcription depending on convention.  I
have stronger feelings about two transcriptions in the single volume -
don't do it!   It will look clunky, potentially cause confusion, and add
very little if anything.

With emphasis,
Margaret

Margaret E. Winters
Associate Provost for Academic Personnel
656 Kirby #4092
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

phone:  313 577-2256