seeking advice

Mark J. Jones mjj13 at CAM.AC.UK
Fri May 16 01:27:33 UTC 2003

Dear all,

I think we have to recognise that having a universal set of phonetic
symbols is a very desirable thing, and the IPA was created for that
purpose. Anyone who has had to contend with numerous idiosyncratic
transcription systems (often unexplained or part of a vanished tradition)
when looking for data realises what a boon the IPA is. Even if it is not
yet universal, we should take steps to ensure that it does become so.
Imagine mathematics or music with traditional culture-specific notational
systems. A nightmare!!!

On the subject of British vs American spelling, I would have to side with
Larry Trask in principle, but we Brits are used to spellings like 'labor'
and 'center', and they don't give much cause for concern. I find 'soccer'
for 'football' much more distressing...

Mark Jones

Department of Linguistics
University of Cambridge