output filters in HPSG?

Adam Przepiorkowski adamp at ling.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jun 2 22:30:31 UTC 2000

Steve,

If I understand your intended constraint correctly, the problem you are
facing is not non-monotonicity but quantification: you want to say that,
given an NP has CASE value [1], there must be *some* case-inflected-word
*somewhere* in this NP which also has CASE value [1], right?

If so, this seems to be exactly the kind of intuition that can be captured
straightforwardly once you adopt RSRL (Richter et al. 1999, Richter 2000)
as your underlying logic for HPSG.  In RSRL, you can say this directly:

|phrase                 |        exists x (withing this phrase) such that
|SYNSEM|...|CASE [1]case|  --->  x = |case-inflected-word    |
                                     |SYNSEM|...|CASE [1]case|

See...

@InCollection{ric:sai:pen:99,
  author = 	 "Frank Richter and Manfred Sailer and Gerald Penn",
  title = 	 "A Formal Interpretation of Relations and
                  Quantification in {HPSG}",
  booktitle = 	 "Constraints and Resources in Natural Language Syntax and
		  Semantics",
  editor = 	 "Gosse Bouma and Erhard Hinrichs and Geert-Jan M. Kruijff
		  and Richard T. Oehrle",
  publisher = 	 "CSLI Publications",
  year = 	 1999,
  address =	 "Stanford",
  pages =	 "281--298"}

...for starters and this for comprehensive formalization and linguistic
justification (and AVM-like notation):

@PhdThesis{rich:00,
  author = 	 "Frank Richter",
  title = 	 "A Mathematical Formalism for Linguistic Theories with an
		  Application in {H}ead-Driven {P}hrase {S}tructure
		  {G}rammar",
  school = 	 "Universit{\"a}t T{\"u}bingen",
  url =          "http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/~fr/cards/dissertation.html",
  year = 	 2000}

Hope this helps.

Best,