English verbs selecting Bare forms

Robert Levine levine at ling.ohio-state.edu
Fri Apr 6 01:27:06 UTC 2001

Larry---right, I see how that works. What about examples like the
following, though?

(i) Anyone who would dare do that with the police parked out side
    obviously enjoys living very dangerously.

This `dare' apparently doesn't require the polarity environment, but
it also selects a bare-stem VP, not an infinitival. Is this just a
variant of infinitival-seeking `dare'? If so, why is

(ii) *Robin dares do that, but not me.

bad? Clearly, this *isn't* quite the same thing as the `try/*tries' case
Carl raised earlier (`If we try and do that, we'll be in trouble/*If
Robin tries and do that, she'll be in trouble')...right?...

Bob