English verbs selecting Bare forms

Luis Casillas casillas at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 9 19:14:26 UTC 2001

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 04:42:58PM +0200, Louise McNally wrote:

> Geoff Pullum has studied these "double bare form" constructions
> extensively (e.g. "go (and) get", "try and get", etc.)--he
> was working on this in the early 90s, and has commented on
> this curious fact.  I'm pretty sure he's published an article
> on the subject, though I can't remember where -- perhaps in Linguistics?

The one I'm aware of is the following:

@InProceedings{pullum90:_go_get,
  author = 	 {Pullum, Geoffrey K.},
  title = 	 {Constraints on intransitive quasi-serial verb
                  constructions in modern colloquial {E}nglish},
  booktitle = 	 {When Verbs Collide: Papers from the 1990 Ohio State
                  Mini-Conference on Serial Verbs},
  pages =	 {218-239},
  year =	 1990,
  editor =	 {Jospeh, Brian D. and Zwicky, Arnold M.},
  number =	 39,
  series =	 {OSU Working Papers in Linguistics}
}

--
Luis Casillas
Department of Linguistics